Saturday, March 31, 2012

DIY: Rolled Magazine Pages Part 2

So here's what I have promised.

I'm really excited to share this because I reeeeeaaaallllly loved the output. As an introduction, I like to show this picture:

Pay attention to the spice rack on the sides of the microwave. Yes, that black poor little square thing in the middle is a microwave oven.  The books on top are small recipe books.  Placed in there to also fill in the space.

When we moved in to our own place, this area of the kitchen is empty.  Microwave oven is not included in the kitchen when it was turned over to us.  Our old microwave is too small for the this particular spot and thus, it looked awful.  Hubby told me we'll have to buy a new one.  I gasped and huffed and puffed and eyes wide open (wider than they are already are), I gave him a big resonating NOOOO! There is no way we are changing a fully functioning microwave oven just because it doesn't look good (read: too small) in its space.

I told him I'll do something to fill in those gaps.  So long story short, I made those spice racks that are custom-fit on the sides of the microwave to fill in the space.  They are just made out of hard cardboard recycled from boxes I took from the street along my walks (like a crazy lady).  Then the outside is covered with cork (the one basically used for corkboards) and the sides are decorated by none other than pasta! They are chipping away now by the way so it's actually time to replenish or change them :)

While I can say it can pass as a clever idea, it's not all good because since the spice rack is directly above the oven, sometimes the heat can go up and harm the spices.  Not all of them are affected though but once, I had a cheese powder tucked in one of the holes of this spice rack (the one that is nearest the oven I suppose) and over time, it has hardened and became unusable.  Plus, the hole for each spice is customed according to the bottle so when I had to replenish the spice, sometimes I'd get a different brand and thus, different bottle size - result: the hole that was created for the old spice may become too small or too big for the new one.  Lastly, the number of spices it can hold is just not enough.

This introduction is getting longer than I have planned.... ok... so comes in this problem.  We love spices and we have a good number of them which obviously, do not fit these two spice racks.  So they are practically all over my kitchen. And everytime I need to use one of them... ahh, it's a jungle out there.

Then I got inspired by Stay at Home-ista.  She's very clever on home organization and I am just the complete opposite.  For a whole day, I drooled over her spice drawer:

This picture is taken straight from her blog with her permission of course!
 
and I wondered how it was done.  I can see through the spaces in between that those elevated whatchamacallit is made of wood.  I am no carpenter and definitely haven't tried my skill on cutting wood... so I just let out an exasperation.  There is no way,  I can do this!  Then I had the light bulb moment!

Rolled magazine pages! It may work... so I started rolling magazine pages once again and with much patience, the whole plan started to materialize.

These are the magazine papers rolled into strips.

Applying the same concept I did for the garbage bin and magazine rack, I came up with this:

They are like elevated slanted platforms piled on top of each other by their foot.
It fit nicely on the kitchen drawer I chose to dedicate for spices.
It wasn't a one sitting or an overnight thing though. It required patience, waiting and finger-cramp-provoking activity but ALL is worth it.  The result is really beautiful (according to my beauty catergory).

So, behold!

I even got an extra space for some of my baking thingies.
I would love to share the how-to of this project but that should be on a different post as it may be a really long post.  I might also need to put short videos of the step as they are kind of difficult to describe just by words. I'm not making it sound complicated it's just that sometimes my english words are not enough to express my thoughts  ;-)

Anyone who is interested to learn on how to do this, just holler!

23 comments:

  1. wow..you are thinker in action!!! good for you!!
    thank you for your thoughts today. I appreciate your blogging friendship!
    happy happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visits! I do hope you enjoy weekend too :)

      Delete
  2. You are so creative and I want learn. Maybe I can do it:) Thanks for sharing. You are so gifted by many taletns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can definitely do this Joy. It's very easy.. just time consuming. I will share the how-to promise :)

      Delete
  3. i'll wait for the video. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever. :) It's good to check out other organizing ideas...you never know what will work for you as well. Just a thought about the cookbooks on top of the microwave...it looks like an enclosed space...you might need to leave some airspace for cooling on top of the microwave. I'm not sure...but that's what it looks like from the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by Vivian and thanks for the tip too. It does seem enclosed in the picture but the books do not totally cover the space and we don't actually use the microwave for long cooking - it's normally just for heating food. But you are totally right, I never thought of that actually. I'll definitely taken note of it in case we actually cook using the microwave - will remove the books so there'll be a big airspace around :)

      Delete
  5. That's really cool! I love what you did with the drawer..hmm magawa nga :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! It's always so great when we can tackle a problem and turn it into something awesome! "Necessity is the mother of invention", as they say! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lhot, I super like how you filled the space for the microwave... it's pop art almost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. am here from the hop and I LOVE this cute idea for the spices...oh to be that organized!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for mentioning my spice drawer! I love what you did with the rolled-up magazine pages, I'm SO impressed.

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing.....tiyak sa microwave kayo nag ano ng popcorn,hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your spice drawer turned out awesome. I'm keeping this idea tucked away for when we move into our new house. Would like a tutorial on this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so creative! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I can have a drink out of your bottle of "Creative Juice". It's amazing how you come up with clever stuff! I like the spice rack you made, the one around the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello sis! Naloka ako sa inggit sayo! Ikaw na =)
    I don't have any imagination & I can't DIY anything so I can only stare and drool and applaud people like yourself that can think of things like this. Pwede ba kitang hiramin sis? =)

    Well done sis =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. for a while I thought that was an old TV set, microwave pala. :)

    followed you, follow me as well, and leave a comment on my chat box. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the idea plus it's earth friendly! I wanna try to use it too in some of our DIYs for the wedding!hmmm let me think :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...