Monday, May 14, 2012

DIY: Pistachio Shells Wall Art



So one day, I was happily munching on my pistachios.  They are one of my many simple pleasures.  I started looking at the pistachio shells and thought it's such a same that they end up on garbage pit.  I thought they look pretty, sturdy, uniform so there must be something that can be done to re-use them. I thought of consulting the internet - perhaps other people have such great idea about how to recycle pistachio shells and surely, the internet didn't disappoint me.  It's just amazing how much info one can find from the internet.

I browsed on different ideas until one clicked for me.  This girl makes flower brooches out of pistachio shells and they are just lovely.  I was so sure I can do it... but I have a bigger idea. Literally.  Instead of making flower brooch, I made a big flower wall art.  Our entrance hall has been bare from the beginning we moved in our house up until now for reasons like 1 - not having an idea how I'd want it to look like 2 - no desire on spending significant ka-chings and 3 - lack of time.

Lately though, I've been obsessing on doing small projects in our house for organization and decoration and this is one of them!  So let's move on to the presentation because if I don't stop talking er, writing now, I will never stop, ever. I am a very, very wordy person.

Pistachio shells painted in red, red wine.

Pistachio shells painted yellow mustard

One on top of the other

Full view of the pistachio wall art together

Our entrance hall is still a work-in-progress.  This mama loves anything handmade, thrifty, unique and pretty so I've been trying to incorporate some DIYs to really personalize our entrace hall.  These pistachio flower wall arts are perfect for this wall that yours truly painted :)

Showing some more details on our entrance hall.

A different angle.  Some details from right to left:
yellow and green vases - from a thrift store. They were like less than a euro each
book type picture frame in natural wood and green color - a souvenir we got from Dos Palmas back in 2004
White picture frame - gift from MIL
Lantern made of candle (leftmost) - craft from Kultura store in the Philippines

This is probably too girly for a house but I got an approval from hubby before I have installed them and I also got a wow so I guess, there's really nothing to worry :)
So there.  I am really liking how the entrance hall is turning into something we really like.  Paging Dianne:  I still have a space in our entrance hall for your DIY Chicago skyline framed art :-D

Now, let me bore you a little bit with my thought process while I do this craft: {I tried to sort out the not-so-pretty and not-so-perfect pistachio shells because what else, I'd like the end-result to look perfect. After all, it'll be hanged on the wall of our entrance hall. Then as I continued working...}

I told myself:

 "Poor unpretty pistachio shells. They have even failed this 'second chance' of being useful. Now, they have no use at all. Off to the garbage can!"

Then I answered myself:

 "That's not really fair isn't it?

To which, I answered back:

 "That's right. That is not fair. Just because something doesn't look perfect, doesn't mean they should be deprived of opportunities." Then the reflection continued. I Imagined children getting outcast by other children because they are not 'pretty'. I imagined my daughter not wanting to play with another child because the child is 'different'. How will I teach my child against prejudice? About equality? About giving the same chance to everybody? If I myself don't even know how to give the same chance to these not-so-pretty pistachio shells in front of me?

Then I heard myself telling me: "Ok. Enough gluing. You need some rest."

So I had to stop the gluing of these pistachio shells as they were starting to come alive in my mind.

I sat on the couch and ate some more pistachios.

Can you tell I am nutty?

46 comments:

  1. you Just make me say WOW for this! a just well done sissy! I dont have much time reading my fave blogs lately but early today i saw this post on top of my reading list and caught my attention...Hey girl!! I love this, I love crafty things and DIY projects....I wanna make something like this too when I got the chance to gobble some pistachios.... Gurl is it the one in your wordless Wednesday?Hey you're not nutty...you are awesome!!! keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna! you're so good on connecting the dots ;-) yes, this are the ones from my worldless wednesday. It took me a while to complete them hehe. Was just trying to sneak a little time here and there from all my work! I'm glad you like them. You can definitely do these... it's really easy. No skill requirement just patience ;-) Let me know if you have questions and I'll be glad to help!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, ang ganda!!! Lhot, I love your passion for being green and artistic at the same time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Dianne! coming from you, that's a big complement :)

      Delete
  3. You make me want to do an Austin Powers impression... "It's a bit nutty!" :)

    I never thought you could make art out of pistachio shells. It's incredible!

    A very Happy Mothers Day to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Austin Powers! Love that!

      I hope you had an awesome mother's day, Pepper! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! If you didn't tell me they were pistachio shells, i wouldn't have guessed. You did an amazing job! You must have loads of patience! And where was LSP?! Didn't she ask what you were doing??? I am very impressed!!!
    It turned out so beautiful!!!1 I love the red, red wine color!
    Great work, momma!!!
    Hope your mother's day was excellent.
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sneak doing this when LSP is out of site LOL...a otherwise it's gonna be a big disaster. She's on her mine-mine and me-too and I-can-do-it-alone stage :) It took a good while to finish this project.. but it was worth it :) Thanks Steph! I'm sure you had a wondeful mother's day too... with the uber cute kids you have, there is no doubt!

      Delete
  5. wow! :) pistacios are my favorite !!
    You're so artistic!!
    Job well done Sis on the pistacio shells!
    I love Pistachio shells painted in red, red wine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, sis. love that color too.. kala ko nga at first it'll be too loud pero it turned out great :)

      Delete
    2. Yeap, and red dis one of my fave color and super artistic mo sis.. bukod sa masarap magluto.
      I like you, you never got bored! :) dami mong outlet sis keep it up :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, wow, that is such a cool project for your wall! You are so creative. Admittedly, I wouldn't have thought of creating a work of art like that out of pistachio shells. I admire people who can create fabulous things out of ordinary things. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wouldn't have thought about this if not for an inspiration I saw from the internet hehe. I'm not super creative when it comes to having an original idea :-D Thanks, sis!

      Delete
  7. very artistic at tiyaga ha. way to go sis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is super cool and really creative! Where are you getting all your talents? Please spare some for me. Hehe. I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not an original idea from me though hehehe I just get inspiration from other people :-D

      Delete
  9. yay ang galing mo talaga! Ang ganda ng effect. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ikaw na ang mahilig sa DIY at recycle. hands-up ako sayo. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunga ng pagiging kuripot na din haha!

      Delete
  11. Wow, very awesome. I never knew that you could do so much with pistachios. I'm sure that must've taken a long time to complete. Hooray for you! And thanks for all your wonderful comments. I appreciate them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice surprise what can be done on seemingly not useful things :-)

      Delete
  12. Sana mura lng ang Pistachios dito so that I can make one, too :)
    Thank you for you comment, sis! Naiyak nman ako. It's nice to know there are people like you willing to listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just whenever you get the chance to eat some, remember to keep the shells! :) Tapos ipunin mo lang. A few can already allow you to make a small brooch :-D

      Yes, sis. I'm serious ha, I'm just an email away!

      Delete
  13. Wow that is amazing! It must have taken you forever. Definitely a must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it did take me forever! Definitely not a one-sitting project :)

      Spanish Pinay

      Delete
  14. oh my gosh! I LOVE this! we eat pistachios all the time..and I tried to think of something to do with them too...that is crazy because I am not very creative...I would not have even come close to this...wow! I can't wit to tell my 2 artist kids what you did. fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'ts very easy, Annmarie :) You don't really need any particular skill.. just patience. the key is the glue gun ;-)

      Spanish Pinay

      Delete
  15. I love it! It all looks great, and well, I'm a big fan of handmade so..congratulations! :) I can't wait to see what other things you can do with the pistachio shells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sammy! I gotta research more on what else can be done with Pistachio shells... i still have tons left over and will have more as I devour pistachio like water LOL

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness are you kidding me?! THEY LOOK absolutely great!!!!! Wow! :D Your fingers must have hurt after eating so much though hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, my fingers have callouses now so they don't hurt anymore LOL

      Delete
  17. holy guacamole these are fantastic! if you didn't say that they they were made from pistachio shells i would think you got them from some posh decor store. you girl has some serious talent for recycling stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ikaw na sis! You are so clever! Tulad ng lagi kong sinasabi, nalagpasan ako o tulog nung nagsabog ng patience at pagiging crafty/artistic. This is amazing! Ang hilig ni Papa E sa pistachios imagine kung ilang ganito na nagawa namin kung sakali! You're amazing sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sis, I swear super dali nito... karton lang at glue gun ang kailangan mo :)

      Delete
  19. what can I say? You are so creative. And you think of everything and do something about it. I am a fan of yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!!!! I am so impressed. Those wall decorations are just lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Galing. I'm so impressed.:) Where do you find the time to be a mom, work, blog and do all these stuff?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl! glad to see you here :-D Naku, walang katapusang multi-tasking at pagpupumilit matapos ang mga bagay bagay. There are times na maraming nagagawa may times naman na walang matapos tapos hehehe

      Delete
  22. Wow, so creative! I love pistachio too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bueno pues yo te digo que te ha salido toda una obra de arte....FELICIDADES!!!!!!(Menos mal, por una vez no tengo que utilizar traductor :) )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Muchas gracias, Andaira! :-D Me alegro que tengo otra lectora que habla español. Ya he hecho un vistazo a tus blogs y genial. Volveré mas a menudo cuando tenga tiempo. Gracias por seguirme en pinterest tambien! Te sigueré tambien!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...